US Ballyhoo over Iran Sanctions ‘Much Ado about Nothing’

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman says the United States is kicking up a fuss over the reinstatement of sanctions on Iran for no good reason. Speaking in a weekly press conference on Sunday, Saeed Khatibzadeh said US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who has been a major advocate of the reimposition of sanctions on Iran, lives in a fantasy world. “Mr. Pompeo’s dream world will not have any more security [than the real world], either. Since the day Pompeo decided to enter his world of deception, lies and hatred, he brought insecurity to his own dream world as well,” said the spokesman. He said the United States’ claim that international sanctions against Iran are back in force as of September 20 is baseless and ineffective. “The three European countries, which are definite allies of the US, once again wrote a letter this morning in which they said that not only does the United States not have the right to bring back sanctions, but its decision in that regard has no legal effect,” he said. He then said whatever Washington does only foments insecurity in the world. “The United States’ actions have only brought insecurity, war, violence and bloodshed to the world,” said Khatibzadeh. “The evil heritage of years of US presence in different parts of the world, especially, the West Asia region, from oppressed Afghanistan to oppressed Palestine, has been nothing but a failed and destructive heritage for the people in the region,” he added. “What the US is seeking is yet another instance of bullying, which will be added to the list of Washington’s acts of bullying. It’s much ado about nothing,” he noted. He noted that the US is seeing tough days at the moment. “I believe the US is passing through its most bitter days and hours. The United States itself chose to stand on the wrong side of history. The US has forgotten its responsibilities.” The spokesman urged the US to make good on its obligations and return to the world community. “Tehran’s message to Washington is clear: Rejoin the international community, comply with your commitments and stop being defiant and recalcitrant. In that case, the international community will accept you,” he said. He said the US isolation in the Security Council shows how hollow is Washington’s power. “It must have now received the world’s message: World is changing and the first victim is the US itself, thanks to Trump and associates’ short-sighted policies.” “Allied, independent and free powers like Iran are emerging in world,” he added. Washington said last month that it had triggered a mechanism under the 2015 nuclear deal to snap back all UN sanctions on Tehran. However, 13 out of the 15 UN Security Council members rejected the US bid. They argued that Washington is in no position to call for renewed sanctions, as it unilaterally withdrew from the accord two years ago. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced on Saturday night that the 30-day period has come to an end, and now the US is going to reimpose the UN sanctions on Iran. Subscribe

Continue Reading US Ballyhoo over Iran Sanctions ‘Much Ado about Nothing’

Iran Condemns Attack on British Diplomatic Mission in Iraq

Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran Saeed Khatibzadeh has condemned any attack on diplomatic missions after a roadside bombing reportedly targeted a British diplomatic convoy in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad. Khatibzadeh made the remarks on Thursday in reaction to reports that a roadside bombing has targeted a convoy of diplomatic vehicles in Baghdad. The Iranian spokesman condemned any attack or assault against diplomatic missions. He pointed to cases of attacks on Iran’s diplomats and diplomatic sites in Iraq, calling on the Iraqi government to intensify and step up the protection of diplomatic places and guarantee the normal activity of diplomatic missions in that country. His remarks came after the British embassy in Baghdad and Iraqi officials reported a bombing attack on British diplomatic vehicles on Tuesday. The attack has reportedly targeted an embassy convoy on a Baghdad highway close to the Umm al-Tabool Mosque, but has left no injuries. Subscribe Facebook Twitter ReddIt Pinterest WhatsApp Viber VK Email Telegram Print LINE The IFP Editorial Staff is composed of dozens of skilled journalists, news-writers, and analysts whose works are edited and published by experienced editors specialized in Iran News. The editor of each IFP Service is responsible for the report published by the Iran Front Page (IFP) news website, and can be contacted through the ways mentioned in the "IFP Editorial Staff" section.

Continue Reading Iran Condemns Attack on British Diplomatic Mission in Iraq

Pompeo’s Anti-Iran Tweets ‘Psychotic’ Reaction to US Defeats: Official

Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran Saeed Khatibzadeh has slammed US State Secretary Mike Pompeo’s tweets on Iran’s internal affairs as a psychotic reaction to Washington’s successive defeats. In a statement on Wednesday, the Foreign Ministry spokesperson described Pompeo’s recent tweets about Iran’s internal issues, which were filled with anger at Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, as a psychotic reaction caused by disappointment and depression following the US Department of State’s successive defeats and as an attempt to cover up those failures. “Unfortunately, the US state secretary, who is witnessing the failure of the policy of maximum pressure and unilateralism on Iran more and more, is attempting desperately to retrieve part of the lost prestige of Trump’s regime by claiming to advocate human rights,” he noted. The spokesman underlined that the US government itself has the darkest human rights record as there is no single day without protests from the American people against violence, discrimination and racism. “In spite of the dire situation inside the US, Mr. Pompeo who has received training in fabrication, deception and lying at the CIA, is seeking to divert the public opinion’s attention based on ‘the bigger the lie, the more it will be believed’,” Khatibzadeh concluded. His comments came after Pompeo slammed the execution of Iranian convict Navid Afkari as a despicable act, calling for consequences for what he called the Iranian government’s barbarity. The US state secretary claimed that world leaders have taken the first step to counter Iran and have cancelled Foreign Minister Zarif’s European visits. Zarif was due to visit Germany this week, but cancelled his visit for what the Iranian Foreign Ministry says was “logistical problems”. Subscribe

Continue Reading Pompeo’s Anti-Iran Tweets ‘Psychotic’ Reaction to US Defeats: Official

Iran Denies Alleged Attempt to Assassinate US Envoy to S Africa

Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran Saeed Khatibzadeh has dismissed the accusation, raised in a report by Politico, that it has tried to kill the US envoy to South Africa. In a statement on Monday, the Foreign Ministry spokesman described the Politico report as “custom-ordered, biased and purposeful”, which cites the remarks made by a purportedly US government official in an attempt to make it look real. “We advise the American officials to stop resorting to hackneyed and worn-out methods for anti-Iran propaganda in the international arena,” he added. “As a responsible member of the international community, the Islamic Republic of Iran has proved its constant commitment to the international diplomatic principles and norms. Conversely, it is the United States and the incumbent regime at the White House that has ignored the basic diplomatic principles and has become a rogue regime in the international arena, particularly in recent years, with numerous measures out of line with internationally-accepted methods and norms, including masterminding and implementing tens of plots for assassination and military and intelligence interference, withdrawal from many international agreements, violating the territorial integrity of nations, and the cowardly assassination of General Qassem Soleimani, the honourable commander of the fight against terrorism,” the spokesman said. Khatibzadeh then denounced such baseless allegations as those made in the recent anti-Iran report in the US media as part of the “Trump administration’s counter-intelligence campaign against Iran”, adding, “It was predictable that the United States regime would resort to anti-Iran accusations and falsification ahead of the US presidential election, coupled with that (US) regime’s pressures to abuse the United Nations Security Council’s mechanisms with the purpose of intensifying pressure on the people of Iran.” “However, such measures and news fabrication that would possibly continue in the future will undoubtedly get nowhere and will add to the long list of Washington’s continuous defeats in the face of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” the spokesman noted. “As announced repeatedly, the Islamic Republic of Iran will press on with international legal action at all levels in connection with the criminal and cowardly assassination of General Soleimani, and will neither forgive nor forget the act of terrorism,” he concluded. His comments came after American magazine Politico cited the US government officials as saying that Iran is weighing an assassination attempt against the American ambassador to South Africa to avenge the assassination of Lt. General Qassem Soleimani. The top Iranian general was assassinated in a US airstrike near Baghdad airport on January 3. Subscribe

Continue Reading Iran Denies Alleged Attempt to Assassinate US Envoy to S Africa