Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Linkedin Email Oman: Mosques to remain closed Oman’s Government Communications Centre (GC) has slammed the fake news being circulated on social media about re-opening of mosques on 15th November across the Sultanate. Read| Muscat International Airport first in Middle East to get health accreditation certificate A statement issued online by GC said, “There is no truth to the news being circulated on social media about the opening of mosques on 15th November in the Sultanate. We call on everyone to obtain information from its official sources and to avoid circulating rumours.” Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Linkedin Email Previous articleKuwait takes French products off shelves in protest at anti-Prophet images Born in Kuwait, based in Mumbai. An Editor for Kwt Today, mainly covering topics on lifestyle and current affairs.
Oman: Dozens convicted for violating COVID-19 rules Omani courts have convicted dozens of people for violating rules in place to curb the spread of the coronavirus as the country is battling to stem the potentially fatal disease. The First Instance Court in the state of Bahla ordered 72 people to pay a fine of RO 1,000 each for flouting the anti-coronavirus precautions. The defendants were arrested last month for illegally gathering in a farm in violation of a health ban on such gatherings. The violation was detected two weeks before Oman’s supreme committee in charge of tackling the COVID-19 crisis warned that names and photos of violators of precautions against the highly infectious disease will be published in the media. Read| Oman: Expats with expired visas will not be allowed to return The public prosecution has said that the names and the photos will be made public after court rulings are issued against the offenders. Eight foreigners were also convicted of violating the anti-virus rules in Sur, the capital city of Oman’s Al Sharqiyah South Governorate. The city’s First Instance Court ordered each offender to pay RO 1,000, and two of them be deported from Oman for violating the country’s foreign residencey and labour regulations. The eight were arrested during a ban on movement. On Sunday, Oman began reimposing a night-time ban on movement running until October 24 in an attempt to contain the spread of the coronavirus. The measure was taken due to a recent increase in the numbers of the virus cases and deaths in the country.